Federica graduated in 2016 with an MSc (Hons) degree in Environmental and Land Planning Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Milan following her Bachelor’s degree in the same subject. This included a 6 month MSc thesis completed in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Loughborough University under the supervision of Professor Li Puma and Dr Reis. Her Master’s dissertation was titled: ‘Performance of a MCF photoreactor for the inactivation of E.coli K-12 in milk.’ The project was focused on rapid UV-C inactivation of Escherichia coli in opaque fluids using a new scalable microfluidic photoreactor. This involved intense microbiological work at Loughborough University and modelling analysis at Polytechnic University of Milan under the supervision of Antonelli’s group, aimed at assessing the hydrodynamic reactor behaviour and the distribution of UV-C light.
In 2017, she got her professional qualification of Civil Environment Engineering at Florence University.
Prior to joining the WISE programme, Federica worked as a Project Engineer for Waste Water Treatment at Pluvium S.r.l in Italy. This role involved the:
- Design of treatment facilities for water and wastewater;
- Preparation of engineering reports, drawing and specifications for water and wastewater projects;
- Preparation of projects relating to the treatment of industrial wastewater.
In summer 2017, she spent one month in Central African Republic (Bangui) as a volunteer for the installation of a water treatment plant and photovoltaic system for a paediatric hospital in the Catholic center “Le joie de vivre”.
- Emerging contaminants in the environment and their threat to health;
- Treatment process to remove emerging contaminants as pharmaceuticals, personal care products and other micro pollutants;
- Water treatment and processing options to optimise the use of waste for developing countries.